Do you want to become a non-smoker? This is how you get through withdrawal symptoms
By Juliane Gutmann
If you want to quit smoking, you have usually tried it a few times. In order to get rid of the vice in the long term, experts recommend the following procedure rauchen aufhören tipps.
– It is booming on New Year’s Eve: The plan to quit smoking – once and for all.
– If you do not want to stop smoking through willpower alone, there are various measures that can be tried. These range from nicotine patches to hypnosis treatments.
– The German Cancer Research Center sees a way out of nicotine addiction, especially in perfectly prepared smoking cessation and the correct handling of withdrawal symptoms.
The money could be invested better, sport would no longer make you sweat so much and your health would not be harmed by smoking cessation either – on the contrary. Smokers are well aware of this, but addiction is often stronger than common sense. Anyone who has given up in frustration because no smoking cessation measure has worked so far may have made the following crucial mistake.
Smoke-free in several steps: How to get rid of cigarettes
“Quitting smoking is more complex than you think,” says Martina Pötschke-Langer from the German Cancer Research Center. Not least because nicotine is a “very heavy drug”. Prospective non-smokers would have to prepare for physical withdrawal symptoms, but the psychological factors that provoke a relapse are even more serious. You have to be aware of this and plan the “smoking cessation” project well.
To combat the main cause of lung cancer *, the German Cancer Research Center (dkfz) is committed to providing smokers with useful tips to help them quit addiction. Among other things, perfect preparation should ensure success:
– Find an exit date within the next three weeks.
– Choose the most stress-free time to quit – vacation or after completing an important project, for example.
– Throw away anything or give away anything related to smoking: lighters, cigarettes, ashtrays…
– Make yourself aware of the situations in which you automatically took up a cigarette – and find alternative activities.
– Also trigger locations: Have you always smoked on your balcony? Move furniture, buy new plants – anything that changes your favorite smoking places will help you quit.
– Distraction and relaxation: Make a plan for how you are going to deal with situations in which the craving for a cigarette is enormous. For many, distraction now helps, such as a phone call with a friend or exercise. Relaxation exercises such as meditation * or autogenic training can also serve as an outlet – try out what works best for you.
Also read: Coronavirus: Smokers as a special risk group – this is what the expert recommends.
Getting out of nicotine addiction: dealing with withdrawal symptoms properly
Irritability and restlessness are typical in the first time, when the body is no longer supplied with nicotine. These withdrawal symptoms usually last only a few minutes and go away if one does not give in to the urge to smoke. You have to endure the symptoms until the body has got used to the lack of nicotine – this takes around ten days. 24vita.de * reveals why alcohol consumption makes you want to smoke.
During this period, the following measures can be helpful to keep the withdrawal symptoms under control:
Keep your hands and mouth busy: Eating fruit, chewing gum, drinking, kneading a stress ball, knitting or the like helps in acute situations to distract from the desire to smoke.
Distract, distract, distract: Talking on the phone, jogging *, cooking, revising your to-do list – at the first sign of withdrawal symptoms, you should immediately start an activity that will steer your thoughts in a different direction.
If that doesn’t work, you can try nicotine replacement therapy. Nicotine lozenges, nicotine patches, nicotine chewing gum or spray can help alleviate withdrawal symptoms. “If nicotine replacement therapy is unsuccessful, the doctor can prescribe a drug that reduces withdrawal symptoms and the craving for cigarettes,” as the Techniker Krankenkasse informs. Medicines with the active ingredients varenicline or bupropion also reduce the desire for nicotine and the withdrawal symptoms – however, they can cause serious side effects such as anxiety, sleep disorders, nausea and even suicidal thoughts. Therefore, the use of medication for smoking cessation must always be discussed with a doctor.